Together with the release for SQL Server 2016 CTP 2.1 it was announced that SQL Server Management Studio (SSMS) is now available in a stand-alone version which will enable customers to use the new features being released in cloud as well as their on-premises SQL Server.
It is promised that the SSMS as tool will follow the rapid preview model which then brings frequent updates enable all the new features available for both the on-premise and Azure version of SQL Server.
Following is the most important features which is part of the new release:
- Lightweight web installer
- Automatically check for updates
- ‘Edit Top 200 Rows’ is available for tables and views
- Table Designer for Azure SQL Database
- Database and Table property dialogs for Azure SQL Database
- Prompt to save T-SQL files on close
You can download the June 2015 Preview version of SSMS here.