The latest version of DAX studio has just been released. This i great tool which has been around for quite some year, but which i have only been using it since last summer. This is, without comparison, my favourite tools when working with tabular models.
With this new release follows a lot of great new features:
- Basic IntelliSense
- Tracing for PowerPivot
- Ability to connect to SSAS Multidimensional
- Connect to multiple instances of Power BI Designer
- Unnatural Hierarchies is highlighted
To get you hans into this tool please visits the CodePlex page for the project.
Working with Management Studio and Visual Studio for so many years I have been missing this intelli-sense feature a lot. To me it is really nice to have the this feature available in DAX studio – especially since it brings up metadata for tables, columns and measure together with a list of functions for DAX.
Tracing for PowerPivot
This is also a remarkable feature since you are now able to connect DAX Studio to your PowerPivot model to work with performance tasks . Earlier you had to restore your existing model to a SSAS Tabular instance and then perform the analysis and optimisation.
Together with the new features the following bugs has also been fixed:
- Backslash characters is doubled when using when using DAX Formatter
- Unable to connect to SSAS servers when not an administrator
- Changing the connection for a query window would sometimes throw an error
- Source database was changing all the time when a metadata refresh was perform while you were connected to a SSAS server
- Cannot connect to a PowerPivot model where the file path contains single quotes
Darren Gosbell is the developer to thank for making this great tool available. He i also working as part of the team behind the BIDS Helper
Read more about the latest release of BIDS Helper
You can read a lot more about all the new features by visits his blog.